Feb 9, 2011

Labels

Lately my work has been quite "natural", I say natural because they have not been retouched or post edited but it is probably wrong choice of words, but I'll go with it for now. I've been getting to know my new cameras and therefore I felt I had to stay true to the machine, learn how it functions, its strenghths and weaknesses in capturing the world around me.
I used to be very hesitant to post-process my photos using photoshop because i felt like I was creating something unreal and fake. I stopped thinking like that for a while and was happy to edit, change and create moods but I've always been drawn to capturing the rawness of everyday life. I am still exploring my "style" and don't want to yet label myself as this or that, but I guess in a way I've always been drawn to photojournalism, the story telling through imagery and essence of people and life. Haunting images of war, devastation and natural disasters, as well as mesmerising images of never before seen places and people found in National Geographic. However now that I've gotten to know my camera a little better i thinkj i will start exploring photoshop again see where it takes me.

here are some wonderful australian photographer dedicated to capturing the australian experience.

Nick Moir






Dean Sewell

Images of Aceh after the 2004 earthquake and consequential tsunami. There are a lot of confronting images. however, horrifying the images may be they are a powerful tool in bringing awereness and light into a peoples suffering, as well as documenting this tragedy in order to remind those far removed. they remind people about compassion, humanity, fragility, sorrow, hope. we forget in our safe cocooned world of technology and luxury that there are human casualties and that it is not some far away problem and that we too can help and contribute. If only simply feeling compassion and feeling grateful and fortunate for the lives we live.


No comments:

Post a Comment